My Portfolio

Saturday, October 29, 2016

An inference from poker

It's been a rather rough week, with projects haunting me, job hunt failing, bridge doing badly and relationships souring.

But amid all these, life goes on. The investing arena also suffered similar or worse state compared to me. Stocks has suffered a sell off, namely M1, and US bonds have suffered a selloff due to expectations of impending interest rate hike, leading to increasing yields in the bonds.

But there are always gems in times of despair. Singpost, for example, has shot up, albeit due to Alibaba influence.

Today, I took a break from my bad week and went to crash a party. Poker was the attraction, and I was quickly called for.

At the table, there was a guy with around $30 of chips when we were playing $10 buy ins. Pre flop raises were prevalent. it was impossible to get a chance.

Or at least it appeared to be impossible.

With a bit of luck, and a planned strategy of patience, observation and an appearance of nonchalant, I quickly doubled my chips. This is exactly the traits to exhibit in the stock market.

Be patient. Be greedy when others are fearful. Stick to your plan.

An opportunity in the markets is coming. before playing a game, it's always good to know the rules and the players.

But first, I need to get a job. Building up your salary base and hence capital to invest is more imperative in the beginning years.